Friday, December 02, 2005 - 22:26

Weird Electronics Problem

Something freaky is happening at my house.

Tuesday evening I was watching TV. Later, I switched the TV off, and switched on my laptop on AC power - it just didn't even see that the ac adapter was plugged in. So I carried on until my battery ran down, and Wednesday I phoned Dell for a replacement. But also on Tuesday night, my cellphone, which was plugged into my laptop, went screwy - the external lcd display got all jumbled up, and it rebooted itself.

Wednesday evening, my TV wouldn't work. Each channel was really snowy, as if it was badly tuned. Later, totally bored, I switched on my laptop, fiddled with the power cable (figuring that maybe there was a break in the cable), and tada! it worked.

Thursday Dell delivered a new ac adapter, and in the evening the laptop charged fine. The TV was fine too.

Friday, TV was off-station again, and my laptop wouldn't see the ac adapter again! Running on battery, with the ac adapter plugged in, and with my cellphone plugged into the laptop - and my cellphone's lcd display went screwy again.

Plugged a bunny-ears aerial into the tv (it was plugged into the complex communal aerial), and the picture got much better but not 100%.

This is really weird. It could be coincidence, but it seems as though someone got some new electronic equipment or something that emits some kind of electrical/electromagnetic field that's disrupting my electronics. That seems far-fetched, and it's odd that my laptop is working fine apart from the ac adaptor, but I can't think of anything else that explains everything. Apart from a really odd set of coincidences :-( Question is, what on earth can I do? I can't go on with a tv and laptop that sometimes work and sometimes don't!

Update: As you might expect, it was just a weird series of coincidences. The TV problem was because the communal aerial cable comes into my neighbour's roof and then splits off from there; he didn't know this, and was yanking cables left, right and center :-( The laptop charging problem seems to be that the ac adapter socket on the motherboard is loose (Dell's sending a tech out tomorrow - their service is pretty good, but for a 6 month old Latitude D510 it's not exactly a good advert for the quality of their laptops). I suspect that the cellphone display issue was linked to the charger - I think it only happened when the cellphone was plugged into the laptop, and if the socket was making intermittent contact it may have cause a power spike or something to the cell. So there's a perfectly mundane explanation; but I still think the timing of it all was strange!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home