Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:32

Allfreight: A Review

Here's a quick review of Allfreight International (allfreight.co.uk).

In summary, they're okay as far as they go, but that's not very far. Their best point is that they're cheap; far cheaper than anyone else that I looked at. The two worst points are that their website is mostly incorrect; and that they don't manage the process past the point that they put it on the ship.

Starting at the beginning: they were pretty helpful with inquiries that I had, and their website was very informative. You can order box delivery and collection online, which is great.

Their website is often incorrect, though. The site says you can pay via bank transfer, but in reality you don't have that option (neither for the deposit for the boxes nor for the actual shipping).

The site says that you can check on the site the morning of the box delivery/collection to see whether it's morning or afternoon; in reality, they send you an sms the day before to remind you, and you have to phone them in the morning to find out which 4 hour slot your delivery/collection will be in. On the good side, they do seem to be fairly accurate, and when they're delayed they do let you know.

The boxes were delivered fine, and you get bubblewrap with them; you're supposed to get packing tape as well, but somehow I didn't get any.

Boxes are only collected from the ground floor; again, the website says that the driver will phone you about 20 minutes before he arrives so that you have time to take boxes down; in reality, I had about 1 minute warning. Luckily I had space in the entry hall and had taken the boxes down early.

The website was never updated with the correct invoice details, however. They say you can track your shipment online, but you can't. I received an email saying that my boxes had been shipped, and only a week or so later was the website updated to reflect this. The email gave me the vessel details, and the details of the local agent - although the website said that they are their own agents in SA. The email said the vessel sailed on the 23rd and was due on the 9th; and that the local agent would contact me one week prior to the vessel's arrival. This was the last I heard from Allfreight. (Incidentally, the same email was sen to all Allfreight customers who had boxes on that ship, and all the email addresses were visible to all recipients - which is very bad business practice).

Nobody contacted me. After the 9th, when the ship was due, I mailed Allfreight to ask what to do. They just sent me the local agent's phone number; they didn't seem to care that I hadn't heard from the agent. I asked for an email address or a Cape Town number (rather than a Joburg number); they replied saying that they don't have an email address, and that the number they sent was a Cape Town number (which it clearly wasn't: +27 11 is not Cape Town).

So I did some investigation, and found that that vessel only arrived in Cape Town on the 12th. Eventually I managed to find a local number for the local agents, and gave them a call. Unbelievably, my boxes were in a container that contained mostly boxes headed for Joburg, and so even though the ship called at Cape Town, my boxes are going to sail on to Port Elizabeth, clear customs there, then be sent by road up to Joburg. They will then be sent from Joburg back down to Cape Town - and the entire process will take another 2 weeks! But no-one from Allfreight or the local agents bothered to tell me this - even though Allfreight claim that they manage the process from the time you order boxes till the time they arrive at your door. And how I'm supposed to sign customs forms when my boxes are in PE rather than Cape Town, I don't know - I guess they'll want to fax them to me and have me sign and then fax them back, which is awkward anyway but more so since I don't have a fax machine (and I'm sure most people don't).

So my boxes will take about 3 weeks more than Allfreight indicated, and Allfreight are not interested in finding out any information about my shipment.

I just hope my boxes arrive in good condition, and without too much more delay. But I do get annoyed when the website promises things that the company just doesn't deliver on (although they do get the basics done, to be fair). And while they're cheap, I do still expect decent customer service; especially when they say that they don't consider themselves to be cheap, they just consider everyone else as expensive - that certainly shows that they don't think of themselves as a budget solution which doesn't require decent customer service.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4/12/07 19:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for 2 days for Allfreight to come and collect my boxes. I am still waiting, at the end of the second day. I have had to take time off work, which is highly inconvenient and costly for me. I have been phoning them several times to ask when they will be picked up, and been 'reassured' that they will be picked up. No-one has turned up.
Staff friendly, but service very, very poor. I am paying a large amount of money, and expected a decent level of service I am not getting.
I would recommend going to another company, even if its more expensive. I would have, if I had not already paid the deposit.

 
At 5/4/09 23:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we used wentworth international movers and they used allfreight as thier contracters. they were unprofessional, not all of them had the 20+ years exp as one of the 'team' threw things into boxes irrespective of MAF laws and procedures. Things arrived broken and crushed. empty bottles of wine and food boxes were included (not ours!) and the was no wrapping of anything by this particular member of the 'team' the other 2 men were fine. they packed partially empty boxes and then had the cheek to charge us extra freight and space. one of our boxes are still missing! would recommend that you check the contracted removal firm that the 'front' company use and thn do your research before you sign up because they are happy to take all your money but don't care once the stuff has left and also make sure you are fully insured for damages as you are likely to be claiming if you use these guys!!

 
At 21/4/11 06:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similarly poor service from these cowboys. I arranged for shipping of excess baggage to Canada over the phone and was given a £10 discount that later disappeared from the online invoice. The courier who collected didn't even give me a receipt nor did allfreight confirm delivery. They added on insurance that I didn't ask for, fobbed me off when I asked for a refund and it didn't cover the damage to my baggage. There were additional charges in Canada nearly as high as the original shipping charges that they failed to mention. They were never any good at replying to emails or phone calls and when I complained they stopped responding entirely and blocked my access to the online invoice. I've been trying to deal with them through the BAR and Financial Ombudsman Service and they're just making up lies now. I'll probably be starting legal proceedings in the near future. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

 
At 26/4/12 22:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used AllFreight to ship 5 boxes from the UK to the US. They said it would take 8 - 12 weeks to reach us. I called after 10 weeks to find out that the shipment had not even left the UK. They were very unhelpful, never contacted me - I was the one calling for updates. In total it took 5 months for us to receive our shipment. I would never recommend using AllFreight.

 
At 13/8/12 16:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the worst service I have ever dealt with through out my entire time in the uk. I got a quote for one service and end up being charged for additional service because they can't call and say what time they will be picking up your items. End up making additional arrangements because they either lost their documents and tell you the day before delivery that they do not have these documents and cant deliver with out them so now I'm forced to take another day off because they can't get their ish together. Try to talk to he manger and they all in there trying to cover each other asses. I am a student and the amount they are charging me now I will never use them again and wouldn't recommend anybody to use them either everything is just poorly done with horrible customer service and expensive rates.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home