Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 09:52

Stay Away From Acapulco Spur

I have had a really crappy day. So I'm in rant mode, not just about things that happened today (not all which I can blog about), but going back to Saturday. So there'll be more ranting posts over the next few days - I apologise in advance, but sometimes you can't help but vent. I'll follow up with a fun cartoon when I'm done, to make up for it!

For this post: Acapulco Spur in Bergvliet. Apparently they are busy renovating, but are too scared of losing business to close the Spur.

We were shown to a table which was sitting on a plain concrete floor, and had to walk past building materials to get to it. There were no lights in this section, and we had only one candle for a fairly large table. We had to take turns using the candle to try to read the menus! The table and seats were filthy with building dust, and when we asked for the tables and seats to be cleaned the waiter brought two wet wipes to wipe the table (with which he wiped half the table, only). We then started wondering how clean the mats, cutlery, salads, etc were!

The menus themselves are impossible to read in good light, never mind in the light of a single candle. We have complained about them repeatedly in previous months, and nothing has been done. The printing has rubbed off to the point where the menus cannot be read - the prices are 'blob blob. blob blob', which is simply unacceptable. On some menus, if you know what you want, you can find the item and attempt to read the price; but if you want to browse the menu to see what's available, well, you're out of luck because large sections are simply blank.

At this point we got up and left. I didn't want to spoil what could have been a nice evening out by eating there, and I didn't feel I could condone their staying open in such a mess. And I certainly didn't want to pay good money for a shoddy experience. And with only one candle, I doubt we would have been able to see what we were eating anyway.

I emailed Spur about this, via their website. They passed the query on to the manager, who basically said that they've been operating for 35 years; they're very forward thinking; and they have a notice up aplogising for inconvience during the renovations. In other words, he basically said "tough, we don't care". Which makes me even less inclined to go back there. As I replied to him - inconvenience is sections being closed off, or having a longer waiting time. Dirt is not an inconvenience, it's a health hazard. The only good thing he had to say is that their new menus are being delivered on Thursday - sorry, too little, too late, and too little customer care.

Update: I've since been contacted by someone higher up, and they apologised profusely for the service and the reply. I've also spoken to the manager, who apologised for the renovations and explained how they're having a hard time but are almost done, and he's offered to make reparations. So while I think they were wrong, it happened and they're doing their best to make it right, which I appreciate.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home