Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:42

Waiting For Wii

Yay! The Wii is finally being released in SA, with an official launch date of 28 September. I have my pre-order confirmed, so hopefully they won't run out of stock and I'll get it by the end of the month :D

It's priced at R2800 - that's the pre-order special price. Not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I feared. The biggest problem is the game prices - varying from R550 to R650, you only have to buy a couple of games along with your Wii to double the price! Many imports, sold via local sites, are between R400 and R550, so odds are you'll be better off getting imports than buying the local releases, which is a bit sad. You might even get imports cheaper if you import them yourself, but then you run the risk of paying more on shipping, exchange rates, and customs, so buying from take2 or have2have seems a better bet.

So I won't be able to get all the games I want, right away. I'll have to wait and build up my library slowly. The Wii comes with Wii Sports, so that's cool, and then I figure that for the launch I'll get:
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Ninja Bread Man
Then in the next batch, I'll get:
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Wii Play
I'm more into fun, run-jump-shoot-collect games, and I don't have hours to dedicate to gaming. So I'm going more for the short, humorous mini games and sports games rather than things like Metroid and Medal Of Honour, and those types. Equally, though, I don't want to spend a lot of money on silly little games - Chicken Shoot costs almost as much as a 'real' game, so I'd rather get something a bit more complicated that I won't get bored of quite as quickly. I'd also like to get a driving game, and maybe a flying game, but those will have to be in batch 3 :-)

Edit: well, it doesn't look the games I want are available in the format I need from the local guys; nor from the local importers. So I'm going to be getting them from Oz, which fortunately works out a lot cheaper anyway! So the new plan is:
  • Raymond Raving Rabbids
  • Red Steel
  • Need For Speed Carbon
Then:
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Ninjabread Man
And then maybe Wii Play at some point, I'll have to see if it's worth it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home